 |
| A high school visit to Grandma's |
Today, I got my last birthday card from my Grandma in the mail. She wrote and addressed it Monday, before leaving us early yesterday morning. I wasn't ready for her to go just yet. You never plan things like this, but if I could have planned it, I'd have placed it a good 20 years out...maybe more. I adore my grandma. I love her sweet southern accent and the way she'd say "you're a mess!" and call us all "babe". I loved the way she made every one of her grandchildren feel like her favorite. When grandma talked to you, you were the most beautiful, the most special, the most loved. I loved that when I was a kid, she'd sit and listen to me talk or watch my feeble attempts at dancing for as long as I could go. Never did she cut me off or suggest a different activity, she had more patience than anyone else I know.
 |
| Jonie's Wedding Reception |
 |
| At my farewell |
When I was around 13, she taught me to bake bread. I made a huge floury mess of her kitchen, but she never batted an eye. She giggled with me about our white hair and carried on. In High School I made weekly trips down to Genola to see her. She was always thrilled to see me and she'd make me lunch or we'd go out and we'd sit and talk or go grocery shopping. I always tried to do little chores for her, but I never did as much as I'd have liked. She'd always say "You don't need to do that, hon. I'll do that later, just come and sit with me." My freshman year of college, I ate Sunday dinners in Genola more often than not. She always sent me away with more leftovers than I could possibly eat. Her general rule was to take the number of people she'd be feeding and make enough food for ten times that many.
 |
| The day I went to the temple the first time. |
Throughout my mission, she faithfully wrote me the sweetest hand-written letters. I'd tell her about my latest tracting attempts and she'd tell me about what they'd been up to and how very proud she was of me. Last March, I was having a hard time after having a car accident and being dumped in the same day. I went down to Genola and Grandma turned my week around. She took me to lunch and then we went shopping. When we got home we made these cute little Easter candies she wanted to try with me. She planned the day to make me happy. She did. I can't possibly capture all of the happy memories I have of her, and I'm grateful there are so many. She lived a great life and touched so many others. I'm so grateful I was blessed to be her granddaughter.
 |
| At my wedding reception. |
3 comments:
Nicely written sis. I miss her too.
Sweet post Char... I love you. I am so sorry for your loss. May your memories fill your heart with comfort during this time.
Hugs!!!
Sandy
Oh, Charli.. I lost my grandma boren when I was 12 and I feel for you! Sorry for your loss. It gets easier, but I still think about her a lot. We were both very blessed to have such sweet grandmothers.
Post a Comment